Sunday, September 16, 2012

"Cycle the Wave" charity bike ride

Thank you/muchas gracias for your support. I raised $930 with your help.
For those of you who have known me for a long time, you know that I am not new to biking. In fact, 18 years ago (gulp) I bicycled from Disneyland to Disneyworld in support of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center as my mom was sick from cancer and it was a small way for me to help make a difference (I raised $10K for the organization which Microsoft very generously doubled to $20K and some of you on this mail supported me even then). But I don’t get out on my bike nearly as much these days. 


Karb and Sheryl
With new hats (& skirt)
bought from women
owned businesses
Neither my cool running buddy Sheryl or I spent enough time training but we psychologically committed to doing the “Burly Girl” loop (longest option at 60 miles/100km) and I am happy to report we finished both happy and tired. 5am wake up call, pick up at 6am, on the road/bike by 7am. It was clear that this was a special ride when as soon as we arrived at Issaquah High School (starting point) there was a large group of exuberant high school cheerleaders out to greet us and cheer us on. 




Sunflower in the urinal
"After riding like a girl, you
can have your cake and eat
it too."
The rest stops were well supported and staffed (no lines!) and there was even a group of cute Firemen handing out “Hot Tamales” candies about 20 miles in to the route. All the Honey Buckets were clean and decorated with flowers (!) and all along the ride there were people encouraging us along. The other biker chicks we met were all friendly and welcoming (and me being from Seattle, of course a girl from high school recognized me and said hello – yes, it had been almost 30 years).



Thanks again for your contributions and interest and please do think about joining me out there next year. Note that you don’t have to fundraise and there are a variety of options on ride lengths: 15, 25, 42, and 60. And those of you with daughters or nieces, it is a great ride for girls too!

No comments:

Post a Comment