Monday, October 10, 2011

Futbol, flat tires and fencing

View from nearby Sacromonte
Watch your vocabulary
I went to get my haircut and colored last week in a very trendy place called the Underground hair factory recommended by two of my friends. When talking to my new Portuguese hairdresser (very tatooed and nose-ringed I might add), I mentioned that one of the friends who recommended his place was now "peligroso" which I thought meant redhead. But apparently I got it wrong as "pelirroja" is redhead so I had actually described my friend as dangerous. Big difference.

Uncertified player
Now I'm sure folks who come to the US have these same challenges so I don't mean to criticize but we've been having some difficulties getting all our ducks in a row, particularly when it comes to documentation. (As I've mentioned, we're still waiting on our visa's which we applied for in June). Right now, it turns out Colin isn't yet certified to play on the "federated" futbol team we signed up for several weeks ago. Something to do with his residency status. We've turned in another copy of his passport and are hoping to streamline the process but I'm not holding my breathe.

Flat tire
These guys saved Nat's bacon (so to speak)
Nat went out on his mountian bike for the third time this week to practice the new route shown to him by Juan last weekend. Unfortunately he didn't have his backpack with him as he had accidentally left it locked in a storage locker at the futbol game the night before and 2/3 of the way through the ride he got his first flat tire. Big problem as his backpack contained all his bike tools, patch kit and extra innertubes. As he was pushing his bike back home, a gang of four Spanish cyclists stopped and actually patched his tire for him! Would that happen at home?

Clark's starts Fencing classes
Would you willingly give your 11 year old son a sword to play with? Thanks to the help of one of our neighbors, Clark is now (semi-happily) taking fencing classes at the local sports center twice a week. Don't try this at home! (particularly with your younger brother).

Albunuelas
Spanish tortilla
We went for a hike from a small village in the nearby Lecrin Valley called Albunuelas (this is actually one of the places I considered living). It is a very small community and we defintitely felt like outsiders as we walked thru the streets trying to find our way and stopped for a drink at the town's only restaurant. We were hoping for a short loop hike but had trouble following the markers, part of which is for the G7 which runs across Spain (as well as some other countries in Europe). Frustrating as we never did find the correct path, but it was wonderful to be out in the countryside on such a lovely afternoon and the views were spectacular.

Monster butterfly likes green
Boys play their own version of chess
Back to the Parque de la Ciencias (science museum) on Sunday as it seems to be a favorite of the boys. This time we visited the butterfly house and the rest of the Escher exhibit. On the way home we happened upon a Medieval Festival where the boys sampled crepes Nat and I tried the suckling pig.

Escher exhibit in Granada


Suckling pig at Medieval fiesta

This weekend? We're heading further south, as far as we can go without crossing in to Africa. We're heading to the land of wind and sun and waves and the real reason I got Nat to sign on for a year abroad....

No comments:

Post a Comment